Wednesday, September 3, 2008

bienvenue! ...make that, hardstikke welkom!

Liefe Familie and Frienden, So I heard all through the MTC that I'd use my French in the field,but never really had a great chance until this week. Last Wednesday we wentback to teach M. Moulet, the French-speaking African man we met the Mondaybefore. His friend who speaks better Dutch was not there, so we were a bitapprehensive about how much we could really communicate. But we stuck to thescriptures, explained our purpose as missionaries (to teach by the Spiritand lead people to baptism), and then read the introduction to the Book ofMormon in French with him. When I began learning Dutch in the MTC, onlyFrench would come out - since I entered the field, it was entirely theopposite! But the Lord really, really blessed us and brought back my French.At one point he stopped and asked my companions how much they understood andtold them I spoke really great French. I love what the Spirit can do - sincemy French certainly wasn't that great. ;) The Spirit during his lesson wasso strong, and he gladly read a chapter out of it later that week. Wetravelled with him to church on Sunday, but unfortunately the only Frenchspeaker there, another African man named Danny, also doesn't speak muchDutch, so he couldn't translate for him as much as we'd like. But Danny willcome help us translate when we teach M. Moulet again, so that should bereally helpful. I don't really know what will go down here - it's so hardbridging not only my own language gaps but attempting to help others' - butif nothing else this man will come to appreciate the Book of Mormon. TheSpirit was so strong during that lesson, and I know I was blessed throughthe gift of tongues to be able to communicate with him. We'll see what thefuture brings! The work continues to go on. Helen Nooitmeer, a wonderful Surinaamssingle woman in her 40s, will be baptised on Sunday. She is so excited - shetalks about her friends have noticed the difference in her, how she's aliving testimony, how excited she is for this new start. On Monday we got toteach her about temple work, and it was awesome. Unfortunately the other mangetting baptised that day (Jurgen) had a fight with his uncle, with whom helives, and is now moving back to Suriname... 4 days before his scheduledbaptism. Crazy. So we're doing all we can to help him look up the churchthere. Now he gets to be somebody else's miracle story. =) And Sofi, thebeautiful Ethiopian mom of three, finally came to understand what we meantby baptism (oh language barriers) and isn't really game yet. Her life ispretty hard as a single mom of three girls 5 and under, and even the idea ofcoming to church is insurmountable to her. On Monday though, we had a wonderful dinner appointment and lessonwith a part-member inactive family from Cabe Verde (Portuguese speakingislands off the coast of Africa). Paulo, the husband, was baptised when hewas 18 in Cabe Verde but has been inactive for a while. My comps tractedinto him a while ago, and his wife, who's Catholic, is open to learning moreand really wants her family to be united in their faith. Basically they'rejust the coolest family ever. Edna is a ridiculously open and warm woman wholoves Jesus Christ; she was really open to the first lesson, and is excitedto come to church on Sunday with her family. They have a 9 year old girl andthe cutest (and most hyper) 3 year old boy I've ever met. It was really coolto see Paulo pulling out his baptismal photos, sharing his feelings aboutlearning about the Restoration, and helping his wife understand thingsduring the lesson. Good things are happening in Rotterdam. And so it goes! I'm continuing to learn and grow a lot (do youpeople realise how amazing the Book of Mormon and the Bible are? Becausereally, they're just incredible) and enjoying being able to communicate moreand more with people all the time. Even in French. ;) Yesterday evening wetaught a lesson with Danny, the recent convert who helped translate a bitfor M. Moulet, and French was very handy. So another point for growing up inLouisiana. =) Occasionally we get just gorgeous days, but they are growingshorter and it feels like fall already. There continue to be little miraclesall over the place - there are so many people here open to learning moreabout the gospel. And there are just amazing people, period. Like the Muslimwoman who very kindly explained her different faith, told us to wait for 5minutes, and then brought us each a slice of fresh Turkish pizza. Who arethese amazing people? =) I think it's fair to say I've never done anythingso difficult or humbling in my life. I've also never seen so many miracles.I love you all - have een geweldig week! =) Love, Zr. Baxter

1 comment:

Eric said...

You are probably home now, but I found this in a search for how to spell 'friend' in Dutch! LOL! I spent a year in France (Grenoble area) and a year and a half in the Netherlands, so I really got a kick out of your blog. The nun at the convent where I spent two weeks trying an intensive Dutch-language course told me I spoke it "with the best French accent I have ever heard" just before she told me I would never learn Dutch unless I sang it. She was right. I have profound ADD, and am Dyslexic!
PS. I have a son currently serving in the CA -Roseville Mission