Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hello from Brugge!

Hey familie! So we're spending our pday here in Brugge, a particularly beautiful city in Belgie. It's true historic Europe, complete with windy cobblestone roads and canals and touristy junk everywhere. So good. =) It's been an interesting week! We've seen miracles and opposition. As far as the work goes, One of our baptisimal dates, Bertha, is making more and more progress. Still no church, but for valid reasons (like illness and shcedule conflicts). She's changing how she prays and making other small marks of progress. We met an amazing familie and had the most incredible first lesson with them on Sunday. The mom is an Ecuadorian woman married to a Belge. He wasn't interested, but her 16 year old daughter and 13 year old son were - and how! The Spirit was so incredibly strong. The sheer joy of that lesson more than made up for any homesickness or language barrier frustration I've had this past month. I was blessed to be there, even though I didn't say much. =) It really is cool watching my trainer in action. I still can't understand Flemmish well enough to do more than testify occasionally, but I notice marked differences every day. The lesson was so great we scheduled a return appointment two days later. Unfortunately Patricia, the mom, was no longer very open. She wouldn't really say why, but we could tell she was skeptical about the Book of Mormon. Her kids still want to continue meeting with us. We'll see how it goes. We're definitely going to keep up contact and see what will happen. As far as crazy cultural stuff, I've officially discovered frites, and they are just as dangerous as everyone said! We bought a large size for 3 € from the frituur round the corner from our flat. We'd planned having them as a side for dinner.... that was a mistake. It was HUGE! We ate all the frites we could and still probably only got 2/3 in. Ridiculous. I took pictures and someday I'll figure out how to actually develop them here and send you photographic proof of how ridiclously large 3€ of frites are. =) One of our investigators also gave us about 8 bundles of bananas that night when we stopped by (her husband works at a fruit factory and gets to take home the excess). I don't know what was up with gross amounts of food Friday, but it was pretty funny. Hugh Nibley continues to be my one source of conversational connection with members. Okay, not quite, but I do get really excited when I can say something to them besides talking about the Second Harvest and gospel principles. =) We had a lovely dinner app with the stake patriarch and his wife last night. He used to be an organ repairman and played us some hymns on an organ he made himself. I spied Faith of an Observer (the Nibley biography) and Nibley on the Timely and the Timeless on their bookshelf. It was hilarious how excited we both got. I think my trainer and his wife probably shared some amused eye rolling. =) I never ever thought I would hear an older Flemmish man quoting Nibley on "We are gathered here today in the false robes of a black priesthood" - but that, I suppose, is one of the hilarious miracles of missionary work. =) We also trekked into downtown Antwerpen last Saturday to help an older woman in the word, Zr. Van Loven, visit teach an inactive member. The whole thing was in French, but what made things really interesting was the Muslim wedding going on right across the (very narrow) street. We were halfway into the opening prayer when the most ridiculously awesome fanfare of trumpets and drumming exploded. We all stood at the windows and watched while a bride and groom stood on their front doorstep, being filmed by camcorder-toting aunts and having rice and flowers thrown at them. It was SO COOL to see all the colors and pageantry and clothing of that different culture. Europe really is changing so much as far as cultural dynamics go. I'll miss seeing the Muslim woman everywhere when I go home. Park contacting has become one of my favorite activities here. The weather has been absolutely stunning in my short month here - I really came at the right time for Antwerpen. I'm trying to soak it all in while I can (I've developed a watch tanline, actually, since it's so sunny) so I can happily survive the rainy winters. =) Sunday afternoon we met some crazy cool people in the park. One was an Albanian woman who spoke perfect Dutch and was quite warm and welcoming - we have a return appointment with her this Saturday, I think. Another was a man who'd lived in Utah and would be baptised by now if it weren't for tithing, or so he said. That was an interesting conversation. And another woman wasn't too interested in the gospel, but had the most logical understanding of polygamy (for helping widows and orphans) I'd ever heard - not something I was expecting in a park in Belgie! This really is a beautiful country, and I will miss the European habit of accessible parks in the city. Well, things are going well. I understand more and more everyday, and can start contacts (though not finish them). When I exercise my faith and start conversations on buses and such, the Lord puts someone in my path I can communicate with, whether in English or my broken Dutch or my trainer. =) This gospel is amazing and so real. The Lord really does answer prayers and inspire his missionaries. I love you all so much, more than I could ever express in an e-mail. Have a wonderful week, remember to pray specifically about your concerns and problems, and be ready to act. =) Love, Zr. Christa Baxter

1 comment:

Ruben said...

How's your mission Christa? Hopefully you're doing great. I love having a blog. It is better than facebook.