Monday, March 9, 2009

Are the tulips in bloom yet?

Beste familie en vrienden,

Mom asked about flowers, and there are definitely somegorgeous blooms out in Haarlem, but I don't think they're tulips yet. =)It's nice being in a city that is small enough that there are parks and evensome lawns for a few houses - and that spring isn't lost in the urban cementjungle of bigger cities. Though of course I still miss Rotterdam. =)

We had interviews this week, and it was a pretty revelatoryexperience. I really love my mission president. I also got to see two of thethree elders from my MTC district, including Elder De Mass, who I taughtwith in the MTC for a month (a hilarious time of growth for both of us) andhadn't seen for 7 months or so. We had an incredible talk about miracles andfaith, and going out with the expection of seeing miracles without trying todictate when or how or where. And just accepting the Lord's will. It wasjust a wonderful experience. I love sharing the gospel with my friends. Ialso got a tape from Briana Wright (!) and a few letters from friends in thefield, so that was pretty grand.

We had a great lesson with Azelea, the Ethiopian woman married to theGreek man who speaks perfect English, about the Atonement. Her daughter gotsick this week so she still hasn't made it to church, but it will come. I'verealized there's really no point in fretting about the work. We just do ourbest, he? And then the Lord helps us out. It's really pretty great when youthink about it.

In church I gave a talk (with 36 hours notice - I am so thankful thatmy Dutch is okay enough that that was do-able!) and my companions sang, sothat was cool. Haarlem is a good place. I really love you all. I guess I could babblemore about all the cool spiritual stuff I'm learning, but I'd rather justrefer you to the conference ensign instead. ;) I know this gospel is true. Iknow obedience is a source of strength. I really learned that in interviewsas president talked about the numbers of our mission quite literallyreflecting the obedience of the missionaries. We're really crazy blessed tolive in a time where the gospel is on the earth. And if you're doubtingthat, or want to understand it better, just ask, and the Heavenly Fatherwill help you.

One cool miracle before I go - one of my companions was having a hardtime with an investigator (an 18 year old) in her last area who was wantingto call her, even tho we're not allowed to really keep contact via phonewith people outside our areas. She finally worked up to telling Aisha sheneeded to work with the sisters in A'Dam, despite their intensely strongfriendship. The A'dam sisters called us 3 days later saying Aisha had cometo church again (this girl has been investigating but not ready to progressin varying phases for 2 years now), agreed to meet with the sisters 3 timesa week for 30 minutes, and has a baptisimal date for the end of April. Ifwe're obedient, the Lord helps us out. I love you all.

- Zr. Baxter

No comments: