Friday, March 6, 2009

helllllooooo form haarlem!

Hoi iedereen,

So it's been a crazy week in Haarlem! Crazy blessed,anyway. On Saturday we hitched a ride with a recently re-activated member (an old man named Broeder Terol) and Richard, our baptisimal date, to anotherbaptism in Alkmaar (the two elders from our district). It was such anamazing baptism. The woman who got baptized had been waiting a very longtime - years, actually - for permission from her spouse to be baptized. Sothe Spirit was incredible - her sister had been baptized almost 15 years agoand she'd been waiting a long time to be baptized herself. It was just good.

Sunday was probably one of the coolest days in my life. There was astake conference in Zwolle for the Appeldoorn stake, and Elder Oaks of theQuorum of the Twelve Apostles came. All the missionaries in Nederland wereable to go, so it was AMAZING to see old companions (including all theelders from my fabulous MTC district!) and! Since we were all able to bringat least one new convert or investigator, to my surprise Andre was there! Itwas INCREDIBLE to see him again, especially since he was baptized just aweek ago. The light in his countenance and the joy we had at seeing eachother was probably one of the best experiences of my entire mission. So wetalked all about his baptism (Lenneke got baptised too! Apparently it was avery full service.... I love Rotterdam!) and how things are going. He'sgoing to the temple for the first time this Friday. When we got to shakeElder Oaks's hand, it was so peculiarly beautiful to see this smallSurinamer's hand with a small faded tattoo shaking the hand of an apostle.Elder Oaks thanked him for coming. A few moments later Andre began to tearup a little. I've rarely known someone so sensitive to the Spirit.

The conference itself was amazing. The temple president spoke, ourmission president spoke (who's father passed away last week - please prayfor President Woodland), the Area President from England spoke - it was justa spiritual feast. Incredible. A day I will never forget.

We had some fun conversations with people on the way home. I reallycan't explain my relief at being able to just make small talk with Dutchpeople in a train, and get to really know someone and what their experienceswith God have been in a half hour. Unfortunately I could be bolder in reallygetting beyond a pamphlet or a card to actually making appointments withpeople. 'But I'm trying. It comes step by step.

Our first appointment that afternoon fell through, so we went earlyto Marko, a Surinamer we'd met just the day before who loves God but isn'tso keen on churches. I've never taught someone who's love of and faith inGod is so vibrant. He told us of growing up in a sort of foster house inSuriname, of how much he wants to go back and help children in his country.He was so hit by the Holy Ghost as we told him of Joseph Smith's firstvision, and as he held the Book of Mormon, his fingers brushed the coverwith such a reverence. As he read Moroni 10:4-5 he had to stop mid-verse."This is really it," he said quietly in English, and kept on reading. I'venever seen someone so hit by the Spirit. When we committed him to read andpray about the Book of Mormon, he said somehting like, "This is reallyimportant." So my rather bolder companion took the opportunity to extend asoft baptisimal committment if he does come to feel that these things aretrue. And he said, "I would have to do that, huh." And I love howdifferently people show their gratitude, and how unique their experienceswith God are. We'd sung I Am A Child of God to open, and so as we preparedto leave, he asked to play a song for us, because he feels the love of Godthrough music. "This can be like me singing for you." He proceeded to playas an Olivia Newton John song, which was pretty hilariously unexpected, butit was certainly intended with joy. What a funny incredibly appointment. I'mso excited to continue teaching him.

That night we went to institute (which the Bishop has askedus toattend and support) and wathced a rebroadcast of a CES Fireside Pres Monsongave at BYU in November 2005. It was funny to think I'd actually been therewhen it was given, and think of all that's changed. I love you people somuch. Thanks for your prayers and letters. I also need a current address forBRiana Wright! I LOVE YOU ALL!

LIefs,
Zr. Christa BAxter

No comments: